What We Do
At SVCREATES, we define ourselves as “venture culturists,” embracing a portfolio that we support, encourage, and measure by investing money, workshops, coaching and more.
- Our ‘Arts Accelerator’ capacity building program delivers a full calendar of conferences, workshops and brown-bag events on a variety of topics, enhanced by ‘Creative Impact’ grants for innovative pilot projects that experiment with new strategies and take creative risks. Approximately 227 unique individuals from 80+ organizations participated in these events over the past year; roughly 25% attended more than one session.
- Our Local Arts Grants program provides annual unrestricted support to approximately 65 small to mid-size arts organizations through a competitive application process. We provided one-on-one support for first-time grant applicants and workshops on grant writing for all applicants.
- The newly launched Resources tab on our website provides links to regional arts agencies that support arts and creativity, sources for professional development and funding opportunities, discipline-specific resources, and is a place where the ecosystem can access slides and handouts from our conferences and workshops.
Who We Serve
SVCREATES is committed to offering a variety of funding and knowledge-building opportunities, to help arts organizations and artists build their capacity and deliver valuable programs for the community. Each year, we provide vital funding to more than 100 small and mid-sized arts organizations and artists that reflect the artistic, cultural, and geographic diversity of Santa Clara County, and offer a range of support services to the entire local arts ecosystem.
Why It’s Important
The arts are essential to a vibrant, creative, livable, and economically healthy region. The proliferation of wide-ranging cultural, ethnic, and traditional arts is a hallmark of Silicon Valley’s cultural landscape. Accordingly, we have made supporting and nurturing the institutional capacity and artistic excellence of innovative arts organizations paramount to the fulfillment of our mission. It is particularly vital that we help the local arts community remain resilient as it continues to face shifts in the demographics and economic climate of Silicon Valley. The Arts Accelerator addresses this critical need by providing artists, arts organizations, and creative entrepreneurs with a strategic combination of learning opportunities and funding that enable them to explore new strategies for organizational and artistic growth.
What’s Been Done
- In 2017, SVCREATES hosted the annual Engage(dot)Next audience development conference, Big Money for Small Arts Groups fundraising conference, and the annual X Factor communications training and grant awards program.
- In 2017, SVCREATES presented a series of workshops on a range of topics including Financial Management, Budgeting, Grant Writing, Evaluation, and more.
- SVCREATES launched the first SVMindshare cohort, an arts executive roundtable.
- In 2017, SVCREATES awarded Impact Grants to over 20 organizations for building capacity in marketing, fundraising, audience engagement, and other administrative areas.
- In 2018, SVCREATES will host the 5th annual Engage.Next with keynote speaker Nina Simon.
- In 2018, SVCREATES will offer X Factor Arts pitch camp and X Factor grants.
- SVCREATES will continue to present workshops on topics of interest and need for the local arts ecosystem.