- New Online Application Portal
- No DataArts Funder Report required
- Application review by budget level rather than focus area
OverviewLocal Arts Grants provide general operating support for small and mid-sized nonprofit arts organizations that:
- Demonstrate artistic quality while reflecting the dynamic, diverse, and innovative character of Santa Clara County
- Positively impact the County’s cultural ecosystem through active and sustained engagement with audiences, volunteers and artists
- Pursue organizational sustainability in service to the local community
Application DeadlineFriday, April 5, 2019 at 5:00 pm (Pacific)
Application and Funding CycleThe grant term for 2019 Local Arts Grants is July 1, 2019 – June 30, 2020.
- February 4, 2019 | Grant application opens on the SVCREATES online grant portal
- February 7, 2019 from 10am – 11am | Local Arts Grants Workshop #1
- February 12, 2019 from 6pm – 7pm | Local Arts Grants Workshop #2
- April 5, 2019 | Deadline for all applications
- May – June 2019 | Panel review sessions
- June 2019 | Grant award notifications sent by email
Funding LevelsAll applications will be reviewed by “funding level.” Your organization’s funding level is determined by your total operating budget for the last completed fiscal year. This marks a change from previous grant cycles when applications were reviewed by “focus area.” You will not be required to select a focus area.
Your funding level also determines your maximum grant request.
Funding Level 1
- Total expenses $8,000 to $99,999. Maximum request $4,000.
- Organizations with total expenses less than $8,000 may request 50% of total expenses for the past fiscal year.
- Total expenses $100,000 to $299,999. Maximum request $5,500.
- Total expenses $300,000 to $999,999. Maximum request $9,000.
- Total expenses $1 million to $2.5 million. Maximum request $10,000.
Eligibility1. Purpose: Your organization’s primary purpose must be the performance, production, or presentation of arts and cultural activities that are open and accessible to all.
2. Geography: Your organization’s home base (primary business office or performance/exhibition venue/facility) must be located in Santa Clara County and the majority of your arts programming (performances, presentations, exhibitions) must take place in Santa Clara County.
3. History: Your organization must have been performing, producing or presenting in Santa Clara County a minimum of 3-years prior to the term of the grant.
4. Size: Your organization’s budget (total expenses of last completed fiscal year) must not exceed $2.5 million (exclusive of in-kind).
5. Tax Status: Your organization must be a California non-profit corporation with a 501c3 tax-exempt certification.
- Level 1 and 2 applicants may use a fiscal sponsor with 501c3 tax-exempt status.
- Level 3 and 4 applicants must be 501c3 nonprofits.
- For-profit organizations are not eligible.
- Institutions of primary and secondary education are not eligible.
- Local governments are not eligible.
- Universities and colleges are limited to providing fiscal sponsorship for one arts program only. Grants may not support operating costs for the university or college, but must be applied to program and overhead costs of the applying entity.
- Grants may not be applied toward support for political or religious purposes, fundraisers for other organizations or causes, capital improvements, the purchase of equipment or real property, or projects already completed.