SVCREATES recognizes the region’s finest artists who have demonstrated a commitment to developing their art forms and to enriching the greater Santa Clara County region with exhibitions, performances, presentations, and service. The SVArts Award Program, including the SVLaureates and the Content Emerging Artist Award, awards unrestricted cash prizes to support artists while they pursue their creative work.
The purpose of the SVArts Award Program is to:
- Recognize the artistic vibrancy and impact of our local artists
- Provide monetary support to encourage continuing development of the artist’s work
- Spotlight the important role individual artists play in contributing to a vital and creative community
Awards and Categories
Five awards of $5,000 will be awarded to artists in the following categories:
Artist Laureates (up to four awards): Laureates are typically mid-late career artists who have made significant advances in their work, have a clear mission for their artistic practice, and demonstrate leadership in their fields.
The SVArts application process has been simplified this year. Artist Laureate applicants may apply in their predominant area of artistic practice, within the categories listed below. Up to four laureate awards will be given, with the possibility of multiple awards given in one or more areas of practice.
- Visual Arts: including two and three-dimensional work that is created in the studio or in community spaces; including drawing, painting, printmaking, sculpture in all media, photography, video, mixed/multiple medias, installation, new or alternative medias and social practice art.
- Performing Arts: including art that is presented for an audience on a formal or informal stage. Applicants would include artists creating work that is developed offstage, backstage, or pre-performance (choreographers, composers, stage directors, stage/set/costume designers). Or performers themselves (dancers, actors, spoken word artists, instrumental/vocal musicians).
- Literary Arts: all written literary art forms.
- Having some evidence of professional achievement but not a substantial record of accomplishment
- Rigorous in their approach to creation and production
- Having a developing voice that reveals significant potential
- Taking risks and embracing challenges
Note: This program does not include architecture, landscaping, industrial/graphic/computer systems design, journalism/photojournalism, or other commercial activities.
Awards will be presented at a public SVArts celebration in June 2020. In addition, all awardees will be featured in the June/July issue of Content Magazine.Click here to learn more and view 2020 SVArts Awards Application Guidelines.